Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Life's Purpose...

Why is it that when I'm at work, Olivia WILL NOT go to bed easily for Brad? I feel so bad as I sit at work, wondering if she's behaving or not, and knowing that he is playing Dada and Mama for the night, (or day if it's a weekend..) Why is it that as soon as I get to work, I just want to be at home? Don't get me wrong. I love my job. It's very rewarding. When you have worked so hard, for so long, and did so much to get where you have dreamt about being, it's a great feeling. I started in the fire service in 2000. I started as a volunteer firefighter getting paid 4 times a year, and only at the wage of $4.25 per hour that I was on a call. Believe me... I wasn't doing it for the money! I tested with full time departments for four years before I got hired part time with Roy Fire, and then full time with South Davis Metro Fire in 2004. Sometimes you'd show up to a Firefighter test and there would be 3,000 people to test against you for two or three positions. Yes, I said 3,000! So, when you finally get past all the stress of testing, the written test and the physical test, oh the physical... you have such a feeling of accomplishment! While working, I often drive around in the rescue, to and from calls and look at those around me. I see construction workers on roofs, (summer and winter) and think, wow... I get paid to do my job? Look at how hard they work! Crazy! I must have the best job in the world! Then I realize, I DO have the best job in the world... but it's not my fire job that comes to mind. It's my 'job' of being a wife and a mom that fits that bill. I was reading in this month's Ensign yesterday. There's an article about Nurturing our Children. I was so touched by a story about a family going camping. It was such a simple story, but the lesson I learned is complex. The author states that she learned that, "I wasn't just rearing children; I was preparing a future generation of parents, a generation that would need all the positive experiences I could give them to cope with an increasingly challenging world. Was it possible that children who have a happy childhood will be better parents?" She then went on to say, "I couldn't live my children's lives for them, but I could give them a well of joyful memories from which they could draw throughout their lives." Isn't that our ultimate duty as parents? Our Heavenly Father has entrusted us with His children. I feel it is my duty to fill Olivia's life with a happy childhood, full of fond memories. I put so much effort into becoming a Firefighter. I got a personal trainer, I studied manuals, I took practice tests, and I was persistant. I didn't always pass every test, but it didn't stop me from trying again. Now I realize I need to do the same in my task of being a mother. I have a personal trainer, I just need to get on my knees more to ask His advice. I need to study my 'manual', aka... my scriptures, more often. I'm taking 'practice tests' each day with every challenge that comes my way. I know I'm not passing each one of them, but the encouragement I get from my loving husband, my daughter and friends keep me trying again and again. I have learned today that I'm not just "rearing a child," but I'm preparing a future mother to cope with an ever increasingly challenging world. And THAT my friends, IS the BEST job in the world!

5 scribbles...:

Laura said...

WOW! Carrie, that was a great and extremely inspirational post. I am so happy to have read it. It has given me a big boost of energy and renewed confidence in my mothering skills. I try so hard to be a good mom and it truly is my sincere desire that they can be ready for their future. I TOTALLY feel like I have the best job in the world, as challenging as it may be. I LOVE being a mom... its so rewarding. Thanks for your post. Like I said I feel a renewed sense of self and purpose.

Melissa said...

You're right.........it's the best job and the most important.
I too loved being a school teacher, it was fun and rewarding and I loved the kids and knew I made a difference. But since being a mother nothing compares.
Thanks for the post.

Sara said...

Thank you Carrie for your post. The Saturday after my surgery I started to feel discouraged, like I had failed. And why had this happened to me? But I still have my beauiful girls to raise and teach them how to be beautiful wonderful mothers and wifes. Thank you for helping to boost my spirit and give me a little more drive.

Robyn said...

Thank you for putting things back into perspective for me. I do have the best job in the world. It doesn't matter that I didn't get my nursing degree. I get to nurse 3 of the best patients everyday. You are amazing. It doesn't matter if my house is a mess, or things didn't get done on my list today. If I was a great mom today, then that was the most important thing.

Talbot Family said...

So my initial thought is to say something sarcastic about potty training and how working is so way better than parenting, but I honestly cannot. You are right, this is the most important job out there. I saw it time and again with crappy parents at the Jr. High who were more concerned about their acrylic nails than their childrens friends, and choices. I think it is way cool that we get to raise confident, secure, smart, beautiful daughters who will be future leaders, mothers, and wives. Who better to have this job than the kids we are raising to be up for the task. Keep up the good work. My mother always said it takes a village to help raise a child, and I am grateful to you and all the others who are so good to have positive interactions with Adessa. Thank You!