
Why is it that we as humans resist the chance to better ourselves? Now I'm not saying that we do it all the time or with every opportunity, but as a general rule... don't we? Here's an example. I happen to be at work today. (For those of you who don't know, I work as a firefighter/paramedic when I'm not being a full time mom.) Well, today I'm at the firehouse. Now, we have a pretty good rhythm at the firehouse. We report to duty at 0700 hrs, sit around the kitchen table drinking coffee or cocoa or whatever your preference is, and get report from the crew going off duty. It's also a time to finish waking up if you're like me... We do our truck checks, we get any news, schedules, or special functions for the day from our Captain, then comes the chance to start off our day bettering ourselves. We work out! Now, as you can imagine, as firefighters, there is a general expectancy to be able to do a certain amount of physical labor with our job. Sometimes that physical labor is washing our rigs, or cleaning the station, or maybe fighting a fire or two, or carrying a sick person to the ambulance, and sometimes it might just be our thumb getting excercise as it pushes the remote buttons. (Of course, that's only after 5 p.m.) Don't think your taxes are being wasted. Well, I have to admit, it took a little time for me to get into the groove of working out first thing in the morning. But, I have really come to like it. It jump starts my metabolism, and I feel better throughout the day. My favorite time to work out previously you might ask? In my dreams while my body was resting peacefully. No lie, I'd have fantastic dreams about running a marathon, or doing a bunch of aerobics, or lifting lots of weights. Serious! I'd wake up feeling great! Who dreams about that stuff? Anyone besides me and Arnold Schwarzenegger? Anyway, to get to my point... Over the past week, my routine has been totally messed up. We've been taking a class on Wildland Firefighting that starts each day at 0800. That only leaves us about 35 minutes to do all of our morning rituals, minus the workout. It's amazing how quickly my body can get out of a routine. It's also amazing how many excuses I can come up with to NOT workout later in the day. I've used such excuses as "I can't workout after I eat..." or, "I've used up all my energy stores just staying awake in that class..." or "I've already showered for the day..." Now I know that I should workout everyday. I know it makes me feel better. I know it's making me a better and stronger person. I know that it'll help me get back to my college body if I do. I know that if I workout everyday, I might even fit into those college jeans again... and don't worry, I think about all those things as I'm making up excuses to not workout. But, does it make me get out there and workout? It hasn't until today... We have been pretty busy today running medical calls, doing training, fighting a small fire, and all the other stuff required in a general day. So why was this day any different? Honestly, I don't know. Maybe I just got tired of making excuses. Maybe it's the motivational picture I have hanging up of myself in those college jeans. Maybe, and most likely, it's was the fact that my whole crew was in the gym working out together, and I couldn't not be a part of the crew. Whatever the reason was, I'm so glad I worked out tonight, even after I ate, and used all my energy stores staying awake, and had showered for the day. You wanna know why? Cause I feel better, I feel stronger, and I'm working my way to those college jeans. So, the next time you hear me whining, or making excuses, just ask to see my college picture. I'll get up and workout, or I might just race you to the fridge!

6 scribbles...:
Good job on working out Carrie. I find my self it very similar situations. I know I should work out BUT I can find all sort of excuses to not do it. I hope you can get to your goal of the college jeans. I will be trying to achieve a similar goal very soon. :)
You've come along way and you are getting closer than I am at achieving your goal. I've been using an excuse this week of a little headache to stop me. My goal was to be down 1 size before I see my husband again. I need another push. Keep up the good work!
I love my excuse.....I get exercise everyday....Chasing after my twins.
I too am getting back in to the rhythm of things. It's tough, but like you say is worth it and it makes you feel great. I want to see the college picture.
Sorry sorry this is Melissa NOT Dru. I always do that.LOL
Wow, you must be exhausted after dreaming about running marathons and so forth. I wish that I was only dreaming when I am out there pounding the pavement. No really, I love to run, and I do feel better about myself. At least a little less guilty when I chow down on brownie mint cookies from Cutlers.Mmmmmm. Good for you, I too thought of a million reasons why I couldn't exercise until I finally hated myself into doing something. Now I will be running 26.2 miles 1 week from today. I obsess about running and how I can work it into my day. It's better than having a stroke or a heart attack though. Keep it up girlfriend, I am proud of you.
Post a Comment