Friday, April 25, 2008

What's for Dinner?

I LOVE to make and to eat this for dinner!  It's pretty easy, yummy and filling.  I've had requests for the recipe, so I figured I'd put it here for everyone to check out and make if you wanna.  My family calls it "Stromboli" or "The Braid".  You can call it whatever you want.  Just enjoy!  Start off early in the morning by pulling two frozen Rhodes Bread loaves out of your freezer to thaw.  Let them sit until they are thawed and have risen.  Once they have risen, start cooking your center filling.  For two loaves, I use 2 lbs of hamburger. Brown the hamburger.  You can add onion if you want.  I also use some seasoning salt.  While that is browning, cut up your mushrooms, green peppers and carrots.  (If you cook like me, you can buy the pre-shredded carrots to make it easier.)  Other favorites are celery instead of green peppers.  Once your meat is browned, add the veggies and let them steam until they are softened.  Once everything is steamed, add cream cheese.  For every pound of meat, use one 8 oz cube of cream cheese.  So, for two lbs, use two 8 oz cream cheese cubes.  Let that melt over the meat mixture.  Stir it in when it's soft.


While that is mixing together, roll out the bread loaves to about 9x14 approximately.  Cut down the sides like I have pictured here.  This helps with the "braid" effect.
Put all your mixture down the center of your loaves, 
then proceed to "braid" the sides up over thetop.  


Cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until bread is done. 
 This is great served warm or cold.  Enjoy!

You can mix up the filling if you want.  You can do a pizza filling, or a dessert braid with whatever sounds good.  Maybe apples or cherry pie filling... 

4 scribbles...:

Laura said...

Yum that looks so good! I am totally going to try that when I feel like cooking again. I haven't felt like cooking for months... I guess I have other things on my mind... but I wll for sure try this sweet and savory... thanks, i love new recipes!

Talbot Family said...

Mmmmm I am salivating all over my PJ's. I should have married you instead of John, all he does is BBQ things. I feel cheated.

Robyn said...

Thanks for feeding us. I love this dinner and love that you finally shared how to make it. Dang it! Now I have no excuse to make it for myself. Thanks!

Melissa said...

Thanks Carrie. I'm going to try this. Now I just need to write it down and put it on the list of things to cook this week for dinners.
I've been slack the last couple of days cause of the kids being sick.
This is a good start back into it.