Monday, April 7, 2008

Conference...

I'm so grateful for General Conference!  What a grand experience we just partook of!  What an honor to be part of the Solemn Assembly.  It was so fun to watch Olivia try to take it all in.  She watched me stand with the Relief Society and raise my hand in sustaining our new Prophet.  After I sat down, she stood up and did likewise.  It reminds me that she is watching me ALL the time.  She will continue to learn from my example, both good and bad.  It was a good reminder of the stewardship I have for one of our Heavenly Father's children.  With that on my mind, I really appreciated and loved Elder Ballard's talk.  I hope all mothers everywhere got to hear this talk, or will at least get to read it soon!  He rejuvenated my spirit and gave me renewed hope!  He let me know that I'm doing ok, and that it is ok to admit that I can be doing more.  I hope you don't mind, but I want to share with you the highlights that really stood out to me.  First, he reminded me that "We all are beloved of God.  He has a plan for us.  He wants us to receive the highest blessings of eternity.  He recognizes that we all make sacrifices to rear our children and to guide them in a busy and demanding world." Isn't it nice to know that someone recognizes that?  Another favorite feel good quote for me was, "There is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of Motherhood.  There is no one perfect way to be a good mother.  The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family."  I learned that there is no reason to compare myself to the 'Jones' or the 'Smiths' or anyone else.  My family is unique to me, and so are our challenges.  He went on to say, "What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply.  And in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."  I do love my child deeply.  I try to put Brad and Olivia above all else in my life.  Do I always succeed?  No.  But I believe that is part of being human, and part of what we are here to learn.  Elder Ballard then gave this advice... "Focus on the things that can only be done in a particular season of life.  It is crucial to focus on the children for the short time we have them with us, and to seek with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes.  This eternally important work falls to mother and fathers as equal partners."  I really appreciated this.  To realize that we only have a very short time to teach each of our children all that we should makes me want to do better each moment that I have with Olivia.  After all, it is my job, right?  Then Elder Ballard gave advice to each mom that would help reduce pressure and would help us enjoy our families more.  Want to hear it?  Alright, just keep reading...

~ Motherhood comes in moments.  Shining moments of joy and satisfaction!  Live in the moment before the moment is gone.  Treasure the "doing" and little more and the "getting it done" a little less.  
~ Don't over schedule yourself or your children!  Families need unstructured time.  Take time to listen, laugh and play together.
~ Find some time for yourself!  Use it to enrich your talents and to turn to the Lord. Fulfill yourself so you have something to give back to your family.
~ Pray, Study and Teach the Gospel. It will benefit you and your family.

I so appreciated and needed to hear the appreciation Elder Ballard expressed for mothers. He made sure we knew that the Lord loves us and knows what we sacrifice to raise these beautiful gifts we call children.  I just want to finish with this quote...  "The family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children."  I know this sounds like a talk, and I'm sorry for that.  I was just so touched by his comments, I had to write them down while they are fresh in my mind.  What did you find extra special in conference?

3 scribbles...:

Laura said...

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this particular talk. It was one of my favorites as well. It gave me a push to do better. I was sitting crocheting a baby blanket and Dave was organizing his office as we listened to conference. Dave came out of his office and jokingly said, "I don't like his talk".... hahaha very funny. I noticed, however, that after that talk he made an increased effort to be more appreciative of what I have to do every day. I love Elder Ballard. I had a chance to meet him when we lived in Ecuador and he has always had a special place in my heart. Its AWESOME that we have these brethren that the Lord sends our way to touch us in so many ways. I also LOVE to hear Pres. Eyring's talk on Saturday. I like to get parenting advice from our leaders. Plus he seems to be so in touch with his emotions I just love it! We are so lucky to have them touch our lives. I felt blessed as I listened to conference.

Thanks for sharing Carrie! We can all strengthen each other.

Robyn said...

Elder Ballard's talk was the only one I missed. I can't wait to read it in the Ensign. My girls said his really stood out to them. Thanks for sharing the things that you learned from Conference. We all take away different things. I love your family and appreciate your examples to my family.

Julie said...

Elder Ballard's talk was so rewarding! I am very fortunate to have a husband who has not needed the counsel of our prophet and apostles when it comes to honoring his wife and family. Clayton is always very mindful of helping in every way in the home and with our kids. I have never been so blessed as I have been in the 2 years he has been in mine and my kids lives!

The other talk that I really appreciated was the one on tithing. I don't remember who gave that talk but I loved hearing that one. I have a very strong testimony on the blessings of tithing and never tire of hearing a talk about it!

Thanks for your insight on Elder Ballard's talk. I can't wait for thursday when it will be available to download on the internet. (lds.org) I enjoy reading their talks before they get to my home in the Ensign and then I am blessed to read them again when I do get my magazine. It was a wonderful conference. Very uplifting and rewarding.