Thursday, March 27, 2008

More on the Toddler bed...

OK, as an addendum to the last post...  I need help and prayers.  I know I said Olivia liked the bed, introduced all her "Phoof phoofs" and everything... but apparently that only was the case for daylight hours.  Once it came time to put her down, she didn't like it anymore.  Brad put her to bed, tucked her in, kissed her goodnight, and then walked out, making sure to close her door.  As soon as he walked into our room, I heard her hit her door and start yelling "Dada, Dada!" followed by her crying.  So, this time we both went in, tucked her back in, told her she is a big girl now, (which was followed by a bunch of "No's" from her and lots of tears.)  The only way to get her to stay was to have Brad lay next to her until she fell asleep.  So, from all you previously experienced parents out there... Any advice?  She's never had much of a problem going to bed.  Is this the start of it all?  What do we 'inexperienced with Toddlers' parents do?

5 scribbles...:

Laura said...

OK... the first bad thing WE did was sleep with them even one night. Then they expect it... You dont' want to get into that habit. We just leave the door open and a hall light on. They get one toy in there but they must stay in their bed or it comes out when they do. Anyway, I sound like a mean mom... I'm not I promise. Good Luck... this is a hard stage.

Carrie said...

Thanks Laura... I figured the sleeping by her was a bad thing. Olivia ended up in our room at 2:30, we put her back after she fell asleep again. Hopefully tonight goes better.

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

Derek and I would just let them cry for a period of 10 minutes or so, then we would go in and lay them back down and leave the room again. That worked for awhile. Then we moved. Now we threaten them with loosing stuff. THe clincher is if they get out of bed they lose their princess dress. THey lost their dresses for about a week before it clicked that if they stayed in bed they would get their dress the next day. But what ever you decide be consistent. Good Luck!

Melissa said...

I think Sara is right. I let Masaru cry for 15 mins then went in and hugged him then left him again for another 15 mins. It's a tough few days but when they're sleeping by themselves it's worth it. Good luck. Isn't parenting tough sometimes?