Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dreams changing...


Well, I'm done. My days of wearing that coat will be fewer from this moment on. My days of sleeping in that station are now less. The days of my husband worrying as he listens to the scanner waiting to hear me on the fire ground will be almost extinct. Yesterday was my last day as a full time employee of the Fire Department. I have so many mixed feelings about this decision... But the one that is standing out the most amid all the chaos in my brain, is the feeling that is coming from my heart. That feeling is telling me that it is the RIGHT decision, and it is the right decision because of my daughter... I LOVE this little person! And because I love her so much, I will sacrifice what I thought my dreams were, to find out what my dreams truly ARE.

I made this decision a while ago, and some of you know the struggle it has been for me. But, I'm glad I've made THIS choice. I recently started reading, "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. I feel like this book was written for this very moment in my life. I love one quote that she shares in it by Elder Neal A. Maxwell. He says, "When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peace-making of women in homes and neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?"
So, I'm going to make sure that the histories made in my kitchen and home are great histories. I want to give my children every advantage available to them, and if I can do that by staying home with them more, I'll gladly do it. Besides, I want to watch every moment of Olivia growing up I can. It's better than "saving lives and protecting property" any day!!

6 scribbles...:

Laura said...

I love what you express on this post Carrie. As a mother I feel the same way. I want a "carrier" but nothing is more important to me than that of my children. Elder Maxwell says it so perfectly... I too want to make "great histories" with my children at home. Thank you for your inspiring words. BTW- Olivia's picture is SO DANG CUTE!!!

Sarah said...

Oh Carrie...I remember two plus years ago when I went through the EXACT emotions. Do what I took so long in school to train and do?..it is my dream...and I am helping others...many others what is so wrong with that? Change my life's "plan" (what I THOUGHT were my plans, as you put it so well) for something so worthwhile at home? One portion of my answer came in realizing that there are alot of good things for me to do...but there are SEASONS for each.

Being honest: It is WONDERFUL to stay home. Far easier with less to juggle, a routine that can be set or changed by YOU, and fewer early mornings packing the girl off to the sitter. But, also being HONEST: it is HARD. Hanging up the jacket for the last time...or closing the classroom door in my case...is a huge CHANGE. Staying home is a big adjustment. Some days it's perfect. Absolutely priceless time with my family. Some days I still wonder why. Those are the times when the guilt of wanting "out" sets in. AH!

Best luck finding the joy in the wonderful choice you're following thru with. You'll be blessed. All of the worries (financial, emotional, etc) will find a way of being worked out...I have a testimony of that. And, don't worry you'll find ways to be busy. I used to think what could ever fill the time. OH things WILL.

Reading Clayson's book right now is a great choice! Loved it. Also, give "Tending Roses" a try. (I've got it on my shelf if you want to borrow it) It happened to be the one that helped me put things into perspective during the last few months of my "full-time" job.

You are amazing and a HUGE blessing to your cute little family. Watching little Olivia is STILL one way to "save lives and protect property."

(ok-my essay/novel is done!)

Robyn said...

Carrie- I know the struggles you have had in making this decision. I know the struggles you have felt AFTER making this decision. I have no regrets being able to stay at home with my children. They are my life and I take all responsibility for teaching them in their formative years. May you feel the peace and the JOY that comes from making a difference in Olivia's life and the lives of your children to come (hmm, that was plural wasn't it?) Congratulations!

Melissa said...

Yaa for you Carrie.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your future.

Julie said...

Carrie, it's hard, we have all been there in one form or another, but trust in everyone's words when they say, you will be "Blessed." Heavenly Father loves you and he loves Brad and little Olivia. He loves the fact that you are putting your faith and trust in him in this new season of your life. I really liked what Sarah said about this being a season. That is what it is. You are molding a daughter of God to be a divine daughter living in these tumultuous times. There is nothing better than that. There will be times when you think, "what did I do in this change in careers?, or "I'm going to go Crazy!", but you will find ways to work through those times. Jill has successfully used play dates as her sanity time, as I am sure all of these mothers have. You are strong and you will be successful in all you do in this season of your life.

I have many regrets but one thing my Dad taught me.....You can't live by "what if". That has been the best advice that he gave me during such difficult times, one of those having to be a full-time Mom and a full-time employee, all on my own. Hold your head high and when those "what ifs" creep into your head, don't question your decision. It is the right one. I love you! and I am so proud of you!
(Sorry everyone for the huge post, just had to share my thoughts)

jenhatch said...

that was such a beautiful post! I love what you said about putting aside what you thought were your dreams and finding out what your dreams truly ARE. So well said. And such a hard thing for you to do I'm sure.That picture of Olivia is just ADORABLE! She is just a little mini Carrie! So cute!

Thanks for the "where are you?" post... I think I just needed to take a break for a while... but I think I'll be getting back to it soon!