I've had quite the exciting day today. I was changing Olivia when I looked out my bedroom window and saw smoke. Ok, at first I thought it was someone's sprinklers... But, when I came into the other room, I couldn't see the sprinklers anymore. I looked a little closer to home, and saw this little shed just past my back fence SMOKING! Now, being the seasoned firefighter that I am, I didn't get too excited at first. I thought, mmnnn? I wonder if they have smoke machine in there that they are smoking meat. Or, maybe the owners set it on fire hoping to collect insurance. I watched it for a little bit and it only continued to get bigger. I thought, if I call 911, I'm going to get the whole brigade here (3 engines, a Battalion Chief, the Chief, and a rescue) for this tiny little fire. They would SO make fun of me. So, I'm going to be honest here... I debated with myself. "Do I let it keep going and get really big so it's worth the call? Do I just call the chief and have him send over only one engine? Do I go over and put it out myself?" I decided the last option was the best because I don't even know the address for the backyard neighbors. So, I hurried to put Olivia in her stroller, got my cell phone, and headed around the block. On a side note, as I was walking down our driveway, I set the brake on Olivia's stroller so I could get my sunglasses out of my car. I turned around and she was ROLLING DOWN MY DRIVEWAY right toward the mailboxes! The brake didn't work!! I couldn't run fast enough to get her, and she did a total endo over the curb in her stroller! Poor kid! She came out of it pretty unscathed, just a little raspberry on her elbow, and a lot of tears. So, after soothing her cares, we took off around the block. By the time I got to the house, I decided I should knock to see if anyone was home. Some teenager, who I'm pretty sure I woke up, answered the door. I said, "Hey, I'm sorry, but your shed out back is smoking. Actually, it's on fire." He gave me a shocked look and said "I'll get some water!" I walked back there and sure enough, there were 6 inch flames coming off the edge of the roof. (Sorry, didn't grab my camera for pictures at that time. Wish I had.) He walks out with a little cup of water, tries to throw it on the roof, and misses completely! I saw a garden hose, picked it up, and told him to turn it on. I sprayed the roof, putting out the little fire. He looked at me like I was some weirdo. I then realized, he doesn't know me, and some GIRL just took charge and put out his fire. I thought I'd make him feel better by telling him I work for the fire department. I then asked him to open the shed to look for any fire extension. He did as I asked. Everything inside was safe. I thanked him, told him to keep on eye on it, and left! The whole time Olivia is clapping and saying "mama! mama!" It was really funny! If you look at the picture on the right and enlarge it, you can see where the fire was by the charred black part. It even made a hole in the roof.
Monday, June 9, 2008
FIRE!!
scribbled by Carrie at 4:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 scribbles...:
Way to go Carrie. You are the regular Bountiful Town Hero, brave and true! I'm sure the poor kid did feel like he was just bested by a girl and is going to need months of therapy, but hey, that's not your problem. Sorry about Olivia's elbow. Kinda funny though.
Wow. That's awesome Carrie. Man to think of what could've happened had you not been there.
I'm very impressed.
Sorry about Olivia. If it's any consolation Yuki just fell over more stairs in the walker. Dru kicked it so hard and swore at it, that it's broken now. I guess Yuki needs to start walking by herself.!!
I guess that's why they stop making them.
She really loved it though (sigh)
Oh well.
Dru can fix it, but will he? Hmmmmmmm
Well holy crap... I go to work and the world goes to hell in a hand basket. And my wife saves the day.
I have nothing to contribute. Except my good looks of course.
Wow, way to save the day my flame fighting Diva mamma. I would have loved to see the look on that teenagers face, priceless! Let's come up with a super hero name for you and a spandex suit to match.Hmm maybe something like, "smoldering flame fighter" I'll get busy on the suit design ;)
That is awesome. It is really funny that Olivia was so proud of her mom. Great job on saving the day.
Woo-hooo Carrie! You saved the day!! You even had your own cheering squad! You are so funny to sit there and debate with yourself about whether or not to call, but then again, we don't know your co-workers and the razzing you would get. :) What a funny day you had, and Brad missed it all!
Sorry about Olivia's stroller ride. Scary for her but I can just picture it and wow, what a ride! :)
Yahoo!! You are so totally awesome!! Carrie the fire hero!! haha, the poor kid will never live that one down!!
Lucky neighbors ot have had you move in backdoor. Now...you can never say that you don't use your job skills staying home with Olivia. LITERALLY!
If only I could post a song as a comment it would be that song by Mariah Carey (I think?) "...When a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on...." I'm not going to admit to knowing any more of the lyrics than I already have.
you GO girl! That's awesome... see, only a month off from firefighting and you're still a pro! And you STILL find uses for all your skills. Impressive. And yeah, had you called 911, those dudes would be making fun of you for FOREVER!
p.s. - don't feel bad about the break on the stroller thing... it's got to happen to you at least once as a mom!
first of all i love brad's comment... so funny!
WOW!!! I probably would have done like the kid and missed the roof as i tried to put the fire out. Way to go! I love that Olivia was cheerig your on, so cute and so proud of her mom!
You are my hero! Wish you had been here when I melted our pan on the stove the other day....I should blog about that even though it's pretty embarassing! By the way....I finally posted!!!!
I laughed right out loud with the stupid teenager and the cup of water... thats priceless!
I like Ashley's idea of the spandex suit... purple I think. With a black mask and yellow flames all over your cape. We shall call you Captain Hot Pants!
Thanks for de-lurking on my blog!! Come back and comment often! It's always fun to make new friends. Now I have a new one to read! Yeah!
All I have to say is.... A CUP of water???!!! LOLOLOL!
You go girl!! Way to march into someone else's territory (male no-less)and take care of business! He'll get over it...who throws a dixie cup full of water to put out a fire?!
Sorry about Olivia's little acrobatic moment. I'm assuming she was strapped in... it could have been worse.
This whole blog is one priceless gem!!! The way it starts out with your calm analytical mind-thoughts, then some firm action, but oops - lets forget to secure the child's brake properly (proof of true humanism); then on to the rescue...in all it's aspects!!! I mean, I can picture this all in my mind like a little move clip. And there's Carrie in all her fireman(woman) gear with a yard hose, dousing the flames with calm but heroic success, with her smart small child clapping and cheering her on, while the pubescent male youth shrinks from the terrifying, world shattering chaos errupting from his family garage/shed. Priceless, I'm phoning Hollywood right now!!!
Post a Comment