Where were you that fateful day? Do you remember the feelings of the morning? Did you turn on the TV expecting a local news story, only to see the horror of the morning? Were you as glued to the TV as I was? Wanting and wishing to turn it off, only not being able to even turn away from it? Did you kneel down and pray for those in the towers? For those responding to the towers? For those who lost loved ones that day? I know I did. It seems like just yesterday... yet it seems like a lifetime ago. I remember feeling the pride of being a firefighter that day. I remember being awed at the sacrifice made by so many fellow firefighters and police officers as they tried to help others. I remember hearing their safety alarms going off when they had stopped moving... I remember wondering if our country would ever recover from that horrible day. I remember the way the public seemed to lose their minds for a day. I remember the way our country came together as one that day. I remember so many things...
I still remember... Do you?


11 scribbles...:
What a great blog. I am sure we will all remember for the rest of our lives where we were that day. I was telling Blair that our kids will learn about it in school, come home and ask us if we were alive and what happened. Thanks for the blog.
I remember a quirky roommate coming into my room as I was getting ready for the day and say "Come look at what is on t.v. You won't see that everyday." I remember my Dad was on a business trip that day ready to fly home within the same hour. I remember seeing a random airplane in the air early in the afternoon and being so suspicious of what bad things they might be up to. I remember going to a LoneStar concert that night at the Utah State Fair...and turning backwards to watch the broadcast of Pres. Hinckley's response on a small t.v. in the hotdog stand. I remember the tears in my own eyes and in those of the crowd as Lonestar opened with "God Bless America."
p.s. I just posted about it...because it is all that's on my mind as I sit here tonight.
Nice post Carrie.
I remember I was brand new in this country! I'd only been here maybe 3 weeks!!
I was devastated!
My sister in law was flying United at the time out from Boston and does that flight. So we were all holding our breaths trying to see if she was ok.
It wasn't her turn that day, it was her roomates!
He was on the second plane that crashed.
It was horrible.
I'll never forget it.
I was getting ready for work watching the Today show when I saw the 2nd tower go down... I felt a great sense of unity with everyone... I was so hard to watch and see how many peoples lives were affected, even mine and no body I personally knew had been hurt. WOW! I can't believe it has been that long already, it still seems like just a year ago...
I was on the beach and had no idea what was going on. I need to post this story. Thanks for the encouraging me to get on with it. M
I worked for the police department in San Diego and I didn't have to be at work until the afternoon that day, but I remember my alarm going off that morning and I always had it set to the radio and I woke up to that news. I couldn't do anything all morning, but watch the news. I remember how somber everything felt and yet there was a feeling of patriotic unity. I can't believe that it's been that long ago.
I was at work when we all found out about the twin towers. No one could keep their minds on their work after that and we had to find radios and T.V.s to get updates. It took me back to the day Jeff and I were on the 107th floor of one of the twin towers with Mormon Youth (our last tour). I was remembering how high that tower stood over New York City and how it would sway because of it's height. Then I thought of all those people trying to get down the stairs. It was a very hard week and even deeply affected Sydni. She learned about the great country she lives in that day and how our country came together to fight a common foe. I can't sing the National Anthem or say the Pledge of Allegiance without thinking about it and those who died for our great country (and, of course, crying!).
I was walking in to the Jr. High auditorium, it was picture day and the teachers were all buzzing about it. I had my picture taken and then ran into the office to watch the t.v. and chat with my secretary friends about what had happened. I was shocked.
Ahhhh Carrie! I'm so glad to know you are doing well. Loved hearing from you...are you in Utah? Glad to know I can keep tabs on you now...:)
You're beautiful,
Mindy
melindamd@gmail.com
I remember Cameron and I were awakened by a phone call after the first tower was hit. We watched the 2nd tower hit and kept the tv on for the next 48 hours. I couldn't let Karina go to school that day. We were so scared, so devastated. I remember gathering the children and bawling as we prayed for the men and women, the many families affected in New York and all over the world. I remember asking my Father in Heaven to bless us all with the understanding of such a horrible thing. I'm sitting here bawling as I write this. I hope I never forget that day, never forget how I felt, always have the patriotic pride in my heart as I reflect on how our country pulled together, how a great yet very new President stood near ground zero promising to find the people responsible. Thank you for the reflection
I will never forget the impact that day made on my sweet, little innocent 10 yr. old boy, who was patiently sitting with me and his brother and all his cousins, as we listened to the radio to hear his name announced as the birthday boy that day. It was his 10th birthday! Jill and Terry were at the airport waiting to catch a flight back east. I had six traumatized children that I was responsible for, not knowing if Mom and Dad were on the plane yet, not knowing how to explain that someone who had an evil plan attacked innocent people of the US and the world. Justin came home from school that day in tears because so many people had lost their lives on his birthday.
I went to work late that day and had a co-worker whose family was trying to reach her while at a conference back east. After many attempts to contact her I was told her husband was at the twin towers when the planes hit. He was standing in line to buy tickets to go to the top and was standing under the awning. It saved his life. I remember her calling and I had to tell her that her family was worried and she needed to call them ASAP and then to have her call me back just minutes later because she didn't want to be alone while she waited word on her husband.
I will never forget the feelings of patriotism that rises within me of how proud I am of those people who gave their lives to save those they didn't know.
I will never forget!
Post a Comment