Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sweet Sounds...



As most of you who have children know, they are adorable.   And most of them have their 'moments.'  One of Olivia's favorite things to do is see how much noise she can make... and usually it's during dinner.  I think she gets jealous of Brad and I having a conversation.  She will ALWAYS try to interrupt it.  If she's not successful by diverting Brad's attention through her own conversation, she will start with other means.  Those other means are often by pounding her spoon or fork on her high chair tray.  Let me tell you... It is so loud, we can't hear ourselves think!  We tried at first to tell her, "That's not a nice thing to do.  We're trying to talk."  That only made her pound louder.  Next we approached her by telling her, "Olivia, please don't," or "Please stop."  Guess what... That didn't work either.  Then we tried the approach of just taking her silverware away. That worked for a minute, but then she started pounding her cup or her bowl or even her hands on the tray.  Grr!  The girl is persistent!  After all this, Brad and I would just quit trying to have our conversation and she would win.

Well, one night this week, Brad tried a new tactic.  I have to give him props.  I don't know where he thought of it, but it has really worked wonders.  I can implement it anytime through the day and it always works.  As Olivia was pounding away on her tray, Brad turned to her and said, "Olivia, can you hear it?"  As he asked her, he cupped his ear with his hand.  She immediately stopped the pounding, cupped her own ear with her hand and started listening. "What dada?"  He asked again, "Can you hear it?"  She listens harder...  He says, "Ahhh, the sweet sound of silence!"  She then asks him, "Silence?" with a big smile on her face.  He says, "Yes, can you hear it?"  She says "yes," and then SHUSHES HIM so she can hear it better!!! It's a game that I'm sure won't last for long, but I am definitely going to milk it for as long as it's effective.  Of course, Brad and I still can't have our conversations without being shushed, but it's definitely better than the pounding!

16 scribbles...:

RaShawn said...

How cute. I hope it lasts a long time for you.

Julie said...

Kudos Brad! What an idea! You know how Dad would always play the quiet game? Well, when Justin and Joseph would get wound up, especially in the car, I would start the quiet game. Being so competitive, they didn't want to loose, but win, win, win! Ahhhhhh. I love that game. Now if I could just get Crista to love it too! ahhhhhh!

Tiana said...

Amazing! I going to have to use that one today on my 7 year old...i am sure it will only work once on his brain but it will be nice for that one moment! By the way your daughter is so darn adorable!

Melissa said...

That's awesome Carrie. And that's a cute pic.

Laura said...

I am going to try that at my house... Hope it works out for a while.

Carrie said...

I should put a disclaimer on the picture for this post... It's not my adorable Olivia. I found it on the internet and thought it fit perfectly.

Sarah said...

Maybe Paige and Olivia are teaming up in nursery...because she is doing the fork bonking too!

I think the silence thing is great. Even if Brad and you still can't talk at least dinner is more peaceful.

When the newness of listening "for silence" wears off, try changing the listening according to holiday "can you hear the leprechauns? ...snowman?...easter bunny?" maybe that will at least buy you one or two more dinners without utensils flying. Good luck.

Carrie said...

Thanks Sarah! I'll give it a try!

Megan said...

I think that picture's a little creepy if you ask me, but anyway, that's awesome that you had a peaceful meal together. I was just thinking the other day, "Man, I wish the Morris's were up here so that we could play Like Minds together." Those were good times.

jenhatch said...

ah, now that's a good one!

Just a suggestion, I've found the high chairs are a no go after a certain age. They're not sitting at the table like you and Brad, and she may just want to be a part of things. I have youth chairs from an unfinished hardware store that sit right up to the table with us. I think they're great. But it's just an idea.

Jill said...

Haha, that is just priceless!! Oh, keep egging that one for as long as you can girl!!! LOL!!

Hawks Family said...

I Heart Your Blog! Check out my blog for more details.

Heather Harbaugh said...

Yeah we tried the quiet game with oakleigh and she would immediately make a noice and say "uh oh I lost."! That is still so cute though!

Talbot Family said...

Oh yes my dear, milk milk away! I am glad that you have found a temporary fix. I find this happens with Adessa while we are riding in the car trying to talk. Aaaagh, it makes me crazy. We just have to change our conversation to one she can be a part of. You know, princess this, prince that, mean Queen whatever. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

wull dang! i'ma gonna store that in my memory bank and use it when i have kids! what a great way to handle that! too many times parents are unkind to their children. they yell "shut up!" or "stop that!" instead of thinking of creative ways to fix a situation like that. kudos to you and your hubs! i admire that a lot, more than you know!

Kay said...

I think you should just trying looking at her while you are carrying on your conversations with each other. Lean in and look at her but be talking to each other in reality. She is so dang cute, tho.