Many of you know, (via facebook and friends), that we spent part of our weekend at PCMC with our little Tagen.
Here is a recap of what happened over the last week so you know why.
On Sunday night, Tagen started to get what I initially thought was a diaper rash. It was red and warm. She's had many of them before, so I didn't think a whole lot about it at first. Then on Monday I noticed she had developed what looked like a pimple on her "lady parts" down in her diaper area. For a couple days is looked like a pimple while the area surrounding it continued to get redder, hotter and more swollen. She woke up from her nap with a fever of 103.2 and I realized this wasn't a diaper rash. I noticed she also had cold symptoms so I thought we were having a recurrence of her Adenovirus and maybe that was causing the high fevers. (Kids really should come with instruction manuals.) On Wednesday the "pimple" turned purple and nasty looking. We took her to the doctor and he swabbed it for a culture. He also treated Olivia for pink eye. Nice to "kill two birds with one stone."
He put her on Augmentin and said to watch it. If it continued to get worse, I was to bring her back in on Friday. The fevers of 103 degrees or higher continued and the sore turned white and looked REALLY infected. So... on Friday, I took her back in. Her doctor sent us right up to PCMC ER with a warning that we might be admitted. Her cultures that he took were growing Pseudomonas and many other nasty things. He was worried that she was going to also grow MRSA. MRSA is Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). It is a bacterial infection that is highly resistant to some antibiotics.
Brad left work and met me at home. Olivia was at RaShawn's house having the time of her life. Brad and I drove up to the ER and they were waiting for us. We got right in and they started doing more tests. It took FOREVER to get an IV on Tagen. She was really dehydrated and she has tiny veins. They had to stick her 3 times before they finally got a good IV in her foot. The doctor did what is called a conscious sedation. They gave her Ketamine, a drug that will make her not remember any of the procedure even though she looked like she was awake. Once that had taken effect, they lanced her sore trying to get out the infection. Nothing came out. We were really surprised and so were the doctors. They gave her IV antibiotics and admitted her for 24 - 36 hours. We were taken to a room where we would be staying. Brad stayed until about 9:00 that night then he left to go home and take care of Olivia. I slept on the "bed" they provide for parents. Tagen has been so traumatized by her recent visits to the doctor and to PCMC that every time someone wearing scrubs walked in the room she started crying. But, we had fantastic nurses and techs and they treated us great. She did remarkable with the medication. I was surprised on Saturday morning when I changed her diaper. There was so much improvement. So much so, that she got to come home after 27 hours of being in the hospital. Things are looking MUCH better. She's not completely better, but improving.
The other scary thing that was happening that we were told about, but didn't really realize quite the magnitude of how serious it could be was that her white blood cells are REALLY low. (The doctors really downplayed their worry while explaining it all to us.) While in the hospital her neutrophils (white blood cells) went from 900 to 500 to 100. Normal range is 1500 - 8000. They tested her for leukemia and other types of cancer!!! Thank goodness the oncologist said she doesn't have cancer. WHeW!!! They think the low number might be a reaction to the antibiotics. We will go back in a week to have more blood drawn and see if they are still low or not. We're praying for a good outcome with those tests.
We are so grateful for the blessings we have and the miracles that we've witnessed. We're grateful to Bishop and Brother Moffet for coming to the ER and giving Tagen a blessing. We are thankful for family and friends who were willing to take care of Olivia while we were at the hospital. I know we are truly blessed to be able to bring Tagen home and to have her recovering so quickly.
This is right after we got to the ER. Poor little sickie.
Tagen hooked up to all the machines and me trying to entertain her.
The nurse gave her this little bear and she wouldn't let go of it.
She FINALLY got a little bit of sleep while we were waiting.
Right after the procedure and her coming out of her sedation.
Still coming out of her sedation. There was something very interesting above her that we couldn't see. She kept pointing to it.
She just looks miserable, right?
Her "attachments." EKG wires, blood pressure cuff and IV tubing.
It was reassuring to hear the beeps and to be able to read her monitor.
Thank goodness for paramedic school.
Getting settled in her room. She wasn't sure about the new digs...
Enjoying some cuddle time with daddy.
This was her breakfast Saturday morning.
She was playing with Brad and emptying the box of tissues.

19 scribbles...:
Happy to hear that things are on the ups! Hope that all of the rest of the testing goes smoothly and that this is all behind you. You are all in our prayers! Let us know if you need anything. We love ya'll!
oh my goodness! I am glad all is better and I hope it continues that way. Poor Tagen!!! My heart breaks for her. I pray you are all doing better and getting much sleep. (((HUGS)))
Poor little sweetheart! She didn't look like she felt well at all - poor thing. I'm so glad to hear that things are on the up and up. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you!
That's scary! I'm so glad she's feeling better!
I hadn't been on facebook for quite awhile, so you can imagine my surprise reading something about PCMC! I quickly got off and then on to your blog. I bawled all the way through it, especially on the pictures. She has been through a lot, not to mention what you have been through, also. It broke my heart to see her sick. And then I read your next post about an identity crisis, and I bawled again! Yes, I do cry easily, and it could be due to the fact that I made it all the way through my Young Women's lesson today on Father's blessings WITHOUT crying! Okay, no excuses, anything that has to do with little kids makes me cry. As I was reading about your identity crisis, I was trying to think of something that I could say to help, and then I got to the part of what your bishop said, and it was perfect!! What a smart man! I think we live in seasons. Seasons of our lives where each stage is something different and the stage before is gone. Sometimes, over time, maybe we can return to a previous season and do it again. Who knows, when your children are raised, you may revisit your previous occupation (okay, maybe not the firefighting!) And you left one title off your list and that is a PHOTOGRAPHER! You are also an inspiration to others with both your blogs! I truly hope Tagen recovers fully and soon. I love the picture of her pointing. What you couldn't see (but she could) was the angel watching over her. Love ya!
oh, poor little baby. that is scary and i'm glad she is doing better. please let me know what i can do to help. call or text anytime - i'm up in the middle of the night too!
I am glad that everything went well for Tagen. Hopefully she will continue to get better. I loved the pictures. They perfectly captured everything that was going on and the pictures with you, Brad and Tagen are so tender and priceless! Ya'll are great parents!
That is heartbreaking, I am so glad she is OK. Educate us, was there anything you could have done to prevent something like that from happening? If you could do anything differently what would it be?
I think they should come with a manual, thank goodness for prayers:)
What a great mom you are! I don't know that I would have picked up on that problem nearly as quickly as you did. Paramedic or not, you were really in tune, and I'm so glad she's doing better!
Natalie - that's a good question and one that I asked both our Pediatrician and the ER docs. They said there was no way to prevent this. The ER doc told me that it is VERY COMMON with infants. That almost made me feel better. Our pediatrician made sure to reassure me that I did everything right. In fact, he said if he had just talked to me on the phone, he probably would have blown me off, and that only by seeing the sore was he convinced something was really wrong.
Guess I won't be COMPLETELY out of the running for "mother of the year" YET.
Love you Carrie.
Glad things are alright.
I think you're one of the only ones IN the running for mother of the year award.
Your pictures are so full of tenderness! What a blessing that little one is and I am so grateful that she is perking up. We love you and are always praying for your little family!
We are always praying for you, too. I have to tell you I think there are special angels that attend children in hospitals, because Megan had one as well, when she was burned. Her angel made her smile and smile. It took me and nurse a full minute to get Megan's attention back. It scared me at first, because I thought it was a problem with her meds. They sent down a lab tech, did some tests and said all was well. That's when I decided it was an angel sent just for her. It was a remarkable experience.
Hugs to you all! (ps I like that they gave her the forget-it drug!)
Carrie!
my nephew was admitted to PCMC last monday for luekemia - i am SO glad you didn't get that result back and i'm glad she's feeling better!!!
I am soooooo glad Tagen is doing better. Olivia can come and play anytime.
Ohhhh! There's not hardly anything worse than hospital lurking with a sick baby. Been through that many times with Andrea. So glad Tagen's better and you are all back home. And, way to go for listening to the mommy alerts your "inner voice" kept receiving. Hugs!
Wow, Carrie. We'll keep her (and your whole family) in our prayers! Love you guys!
The Paynes
poor little sweetheart! I remember when Claire was at PMCH and thinking the cribs look like little baby prison cells. They are so nice there. Nurses, doctors, everyone. I am glad she got to come home!
I am so glad she recovered so quickly. Reading all this and seeing the pictures brings back lots of anxious feelings and teary eyes. We had a lot of scary times up there at PCMC with my Tyler. I love love love PCMC, and am so grateful for all the staff and all they do, but I hate being up there with a child. Something as a parent you just hate to go through with a child. I am so glad hear her stay was short and all is well.
Post a Comment