Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Help please....



Any of you intelligent, experienced and expert moms out there have any advice on how to wean a child who won't take a bottle, and just plays with a sippy cup like it's her new favorite toy? I really need to be done breast feeding SOON. I need help.
How do I get her to #1 - realize she can drink out of the sippy cup and #2 - realize she doesn't need to nurse any longer?

Olivia was such a breeze... I just decided to stop one day and she did great.
Of course, Olivia didn't mind drinking from the bottle from day one, either. Tagen... not so much.

8 scribbles...:

Natalie said...

Give her a normal cup, not a sippy. I know it is harder, at first, you have to sit with them, and actually help them with it, but it will be worth it. Good luck.

Michele said...

Oh, the trials! I had such a hard time with Erin. I had to wean her early and I just couldn't get her to take a bottle. At the beginning of every feeding, I would give her a bottle. She refused it, but I kept trying every 5 or 10 minutes or so, for about an hour, if it took that long, then I'd finally nurse. You can only do this for 2, maybe 3 days max, then you have to be a little more strict. Keep giving her the bottle at every feeding and if she doesn't take it, don't give her anything else, I wouldn't even give her much solid food (for now, until she gets the hang of the bottle). She will get hungry and she will eventually take the bottle and eat. It may seem like you're starving her, but it is short-lived and she will get the point very quickly when nothing else is offered. Babies regulate their hunger much better than adults do. They eat when they're hungry and stop when their full. Try having Brad or whoever else is there feed her and you go away, out of sight or leave the house if necessary. She knows she can't get mommy's milk from anybody but you and if you're gone she might be more apt to take it from an alternate source. Good luck!!!

Tiffany said...

I'm with you on the normal cup. It's a pain for mom, but it makes them feel big so they are more likely to take it. As far as weaning goes, all 4 of mine (the jury is still out on #5) have handled it differently. The boys all weaned mostly on their own. Liah fought me HARD and was 14 months before the battle finally ended. I made my nursing sessions shorter each day, and lengthened the time between each feeding by about an hour each day. After I would finish nursing, I would give them food or a drink so they'd feel full and not sad. This theory worked for all but one. GOOD LUCK! This is a hard part, huh :(

Melissa said...

I dunno Carrie.
I'm so sorry.
I hope it works out.
Whatever works you should tell us so if we have the same problem we can do what you did.

Laura said...

I just dont' put the valve in the sippy cup until they figure out that something tasty will be coming out of it :)

As far as weening... good luck!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You could also smear a bit of something tasty on the sippy cup bit - he will start sucking.

Richard and Marianne said...

It will be nice when Brad goes back to work for one reason... you will hopefully start blogging again! I got up today and church doesn't start til 11. I want to read something new!!!