Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Grr!

Potty Training is one of the hardest things I've had to do as a mother.
Please tell me she'll figure it out and WANT to go potty on the toilet... SOON!
I don't have many clean towels left!

Yesterday she did so good... today is another story.
I know not to give up, and I'm sure this is just the way things go.  But I'm already tired of asking her if she needs to go, 
tired of hauling her in there kicking and screaming and tired of cleaning up the wet towels.  Anyone want a three 
year old for about 3 days?  Just return her fully potty trained when you're done please.  

(just as I finished writing this post, she walks into the bathroom all by herself, 
climbs up on the toilet, and I hear the tinkle in the toilet!!!  Miracles do happen!)

16 scribbles...:

Tiffany said...

:) My kids have all been different...one potty trained himself at 2 1/2, one bitterly refused until a week before her 4th birthday and me nearly going broke from all the bribery, and my 3 year old is just too busy to care in spite of all my tactics. My advice...if you have the patience to keep trying, keep trying. If you are burned out, give her (and you) a break, and go back to it. Yes, she WILL want to do this at some point, but right now the world is her oyster and there have got to be 101 things that sound more fun to her than tinklin' in the potty :) Hang in there!!!

Melissa said...

Masaru was a nightmare!
So I'm not good with advice.
Know that your not alone with these feelings.
I felt them for a long while.
Lucky he was good in every other area.

Julie said...

I really like what Tiffany said. If your burned out from doing it, take a break. After having potty trained two boys and now potty training a puppy, here is what I have learned.

My boys would wiggle and get hyper when they needed to go potty. They would do anything to keep from going potty. Wiggle, pinch, run, whatever. Instead of asking if they needed to go, I would just take them and sit them on the pot. If they did something, they got a reward, whether that was praise, or an actual something. With the puppy....He is actually the same way. He will run wild circles around the house and run back and forth to the door that leads to the outside. If I ignore those wild hyper moments, I regret it because I am then cleaning pee or poop off of the floor.

If you are up to this just watch her for a day or so and see what she does when she is working up to something. Does she get hyper or does she get quiet and go somewhere to hide. These are your signs to look for. Once you can see the signs, that is when you put her in big girl panties and then follow up with a trip to the potty. Do a potty dance or something funny like that that she will really get a kick out of.

All I can say is this, GOOD LUCK!!! It is not easy. It is one step forward and two steps or more back but consistency is the key!!!

RaShawn said...

I always wanted to hire someone to potty train my kids. Good luck!

Sarah said...

No great advice on this one. Meg reverted once...I thought we had it completely down and then she proved me wrong. All I know is that when THEY want to figure it out, they WILL. Eventually it will click...and you'll wonder why it was such a stress (but in the meantime you truly wonder when the eventually will ever happen).
I do have a few blackline reward charts I used for Meg. If interested, email me.

Laura said...

For sure don't give up! It really is the hardest thing EVER. We used to sit at home for a whole week and go NO WHERE and every 40minutes (I set the timer) we would go the potty, read a book, sang songs, played eye-spy, until the kid did the business. Then if it was a #1 they got one skittle or M&M or if it was #2 they got TWO candies. I also tried the going with no underwear for a day and that was no fun, I don't like to see my kids naked :) Good Luck!

Jill said...

Ok. Am I the only one that bribed my kids? (Except for maybe Laura)? Once an hour we would go to the potty, a reward was given for going, no matter if it was a drop. Of course, it was double for The BIG ONE!

Everyone is right, each kid will go at their own pace...one of the hardest things as a mom. Best of luck to ya!!

Sara said...

Yeah Good luck with the potty training and just be happy you didn't have to potty train 2 at once. And I will just warn you...The Books and websites that I read said to ask them every 30 minutes for the first 2 weeks. SO have fun with that. But just think of the money you will save on diapers. And I recommend buying at least 20 pairs of panties.I had 40 for the girls.

Carrie said...

Thanks for all your advice... I'll tell you this... we've tried before and we're trying again. we have tried bribing her with everything from oreos, m&m's, stickers, new panties, movies and money. Didn't work. Now I mostly just praise her to death when she does go and every now and then give her a treat of some sort. I'm planning on being locked in my house all week.. with a few exceptions to run a couple errands and playgroup. She keeps asking for a diaper, and I keep telling her it's only for bedtime now. Thanks again!

Hawks Family said...

All I can say is - good luck! Actually, we've found that the biggest thing is just to keep consistent, no matter what you do, keep doing it. She'll eventually get the hang of it and then she'll never look back. It does take patience and yes, just plan to keep to the house for at least the next week!

Tris said...

ahhhhh, the joys of potty training. i hated every minute of it and so did my kids. we, too, didn't go anywhere for about two weeks. best wishes to you. it WILL all be over and done soon.

Tiffany said...

I hate potty training with a passion (and I've even had some easy ones). It really was a deciding factor when I was thinking about #4. Could I handle that again? I guess I decided I could. We'll see soon if it will be easy or a nightmare.

Williams Tale Overture said...

Well she is doing better than Cash, he absolutely refuses to poop on the potty. I have tried everything, even offered to by him a new thomas train everytime he does it. He just says no thank you mom. So I am hoping that one of these days he decides to on his own like possibly before kindergarten might be best:)

Jennifer said...

Haha! I have all sorts of friends going through this same thing right now! It sounds like a frustrating task but I'm glad the end it near! Keep your chin up and remember those techniques so you can share them with ME! haha!

jenhatch said...

love all the comments! So funny how everyone relates to a potty post! Hang in there!

Kay said...

Ryan was particularly frustrating. Keep in mind this was before disposable anything! Once I made him wash out his own panties in the toilet, he got the idea and straightened up within a week. The question remains, do you dare leave it up to her to clean herself? What about UTIs? I know, I know. But it worked on Ryan.