Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Poor little Tagen...

Our little sickie...
Her most comfortable position to sleep lately is on her side/stomach.
As you can tell, she also likes laying on her hand. This hand print lasted for
over 3 hours!
This was taken Saturday morning. Her fever was at 102 degrees.
It was the tear on her cheek that convinced me to take her back to the doctor again.
She was just plain MISERABLE.
Her "bling" bracelet from the hospital.
NOT an accessory I like seeing on my children.
Her "souvenir" from the hospital. I was VERY impressed with the phlebotomist.
She got this in one stick... Very hard to do on a baby... trust me.

I know many of you know this story already, but I want it recorded on my blog for future memories. Our little Tagen has been getting her molars over the past week and a half. She's had a low grade fever during that time. But, she started running a constant fever of 102 since last Thursday and has been severely congested so we knew this wasn't just the two molars she's getting. A trip to the doctor on Thursday and another on Saturday turned up nothing but the doctor could tell she was very sick and her breath smelled of infection. She gave us amoxicillin and said to come back Monday if no changes.

Because there were no changes, we went back on Monday and her regular doctor was available. Finally an ear infection started making itself visible, but he was convinced there was more to it and suspected RSV or a cousin strain. A urine test and throat swab from the Saturday visit showed nothing, so he sent us to Primary Children's to get a series of tests done. After 2 hrs at Primary's we came home with a very traumatized Tagen. Every time someone who was wearing scrubs or even looked like a doctor walked into the room, she started crying. They did a blood draw, chest and throat x-rays, and suctioned her nose to test her mucous. Our very cool doctor called us around 9pm tonight (yes, he is absolutely awesome and we love him) and let us know she has Adenovirus. The good news is it's nothing too serious and we are SO relieved to at least finally know what we're dealing with and how to treat it. The bad news is he thinks she's probably got another 3-4 days of misery before she turns a corner. Keeping her on the antibiotics, Motrin/Tylenol for fever, ear drops for her ear infection, and careful amounts of Afrin nasal spray for her congestion. The relief was palpable.

Update on Brad:
(Written by him)

After a couple of different doctor consultations, x-ray examinations, and MRI examination, and after much thought and 3 priesthood blessings... I have decided NOT to have the surgery to fuse the blown discs in my neck. I have been promised I will heal and regain full health. The x-rays show that my neck sits 2" forward of where it's supposed to, which is what put all the extra strain on my C6 and C7 discs. He said it was just a matter of time before this happened. My graceful attempt at being "America's Greatest Hero" in the bathroom was the final straw. So, we are going to continue with physical therapy/chiropractic/muscle stim/ice and the prayers of our wonderful family. You have ALL been so supportive and we appreciate very much the outpouring of love and support we have received.

I am still in constant pain, with the only relief coming from heavy narcotics and muscle relaxers. But I'm hoping with another week of treatments this week, I can go back to work on Monday. I've finally been able to start driving again, although it's pretty painful and I can't do it for very long. I still can't lift the girls, or anything heavy for that matter, but I do what I can to help Carrie around the house. Poor Tagen won't let her put her down, she's convinced she'll be attacked by another doctor when she's not looking ha ha. Carrie has borne all of this with the grace and strength that I fell in love with when I met her. We all have our trials in life, but it takes a special kind of woman to put up with me, and that's when I'm NOT gimpy!

It's Carrie again...
So, that's our family for now. I am so grateful for all the wonderful friends, visiting teachers (who are also friends) and family that have called, visited, taken my children, sent food, plants, emails, and that have prayed and checked in to make sure we're surviving. It's been a tough three weeks, but with all the blessings we have been given, we're totally making it... with smiles on our faces.

12 scribbles...:

Sarah said...

Glad you're "making it" and that you've got answers. Hope the pain leaves and sleep-filled nights come quickly.

Em and Tom said...

OH my goodness.
You're so blessed to have an awesome doctor. Most doctor's would just shove you away.
I hope it all passes well. I"m glad it's not RSV.
Man I feel so bad for Brad. That sucks big time. I hope that the healing come fast and going back to work goes well.
Man not to be able to lift your kids. I dunno how you do it.
Great example Carrie.
I'm so sad that I haven't been there for youa nd so sorry.
I hope you know that I'm thinking of you and hope things get better fast.
Love you guys.

Melissa said...

Hey my mate singed into my comp. It's Milz not Em and Tom.
Sorry man.

Tiffany said...

Wow guys. I am so hoping you're turning a corner with all of this. That picture of Tagen just broke my heart. You are going to have guns of steel after carrying her around non-stop ;) Love ya!

Hawks Family said...

I'm so sorry for all the "fun" you've gone through in the past little while. Our thoughts, love, and prayers are with you as you get through this difficult time.

Annette said...

Wow Carrie, when it rains it pours! Hope things are getting much better by now. You have had a lot to deal with--I'm so sorry. I want to scoop up little Tagen and hold her. I hated it when my kids were sick. Hang in there!

Jill said...

It breaks my heart....the picture with the tear. We continue to pray for your family. You have had your share of pain. My you blessed with peace and may health return once again!! Love you.

Rosanne said...

I am sorry you have been going through all this. My heart goes out to you. It is so hard to have a sick child, and to have a husband going through what Brad is, I can't imagine. Hang in there!

Laura said...

WOW! I am not sure how you have done this for three weeks!!! You are awesome. I hope things get better for all of you, VERY SOON!

RaShawn said...

I hope everyone keeps getting better!

jenhatch said...

You think I'm AMAZING?!?! No, no, NO missy - that'd be you! And the amazing support and strength you are to your husband and little girls! Our prayers have been with ya'll... and I got on to check for an update on Brad, and saw all the mess with Tagen. Geesh! Enough already. ya'll need a break, and hopefully you'll get it soon! Hang in there woman! You're awesome!!

Kristin said...

Oh Carrie, I had no idea it was this bad. I'll be home today. PLEASE let me babysit or do something to help you out.