Monday, October 4, 2010

Once Bitten, Twice Shy....

Almost two weeks ago, Olivia came home from preschool with a nasty bite just on the inside of her knee. I was surprised at how quickly it got red and raised. I drew a line with pen around the initial redness to see if the redness would spread through out the week. Olivia never complained of any pain or itchiness from the bite. But by that night the redness had already spread beyond the drawn circle, and had doubled in size by the next morning. So... we were off to see our favorite pediatrician. I'm pretty sure that I'm paying Dr. Judd's yearly salary with all our visits this year, but at least it was for a different patient this time. He took one look and felt the warmth coming off the bite and immediately prescribed an antibiotic for Olivia with the warning it might be worse before it gets better. We have no idea what bit her, but if you ask Olivia and her friend, Emma, "it was a spider that's really a snake."
The second day.
You can see where I drew the circle around the original redness.
This was the third day of the bite.
I was really concerned when the redness started streaking down her leg. This picture doesn't show it very well, but the original circle of redness had turned a nasty brown/black and the middle lump was extremely hard to the touch.

Thank goodness by the fourth day, it looked like one massive bruise and has gotten better every day since. In fact, you can't even tell anything was wrong now, but Olivia is very concerned about the bite coming back. She was really good to take all her medicine and has been heard in many prayers asking Heavenly Father to "make sure the bite doesn't come back EVER!"

It was just another crazy day in our life. I'm glad this turned out as well as it did and that no hospital visits, surgeries, or even IV therapy was needed. Now I just need to watch out for those "spiders that are really a snake."

16 scribbles...:

Melissa said...

Ouch.
Glad she's ok.

Julie said...

Joseph was bit by a spider on the top of his foot when he was Tagen's age. His looked like that and so I called his doctor about it and he told me not to be concerned unless it got raised puss pockets on it. The next morning his foot was covered in little oozing pockets of ick. Luckily it wasn't a nasty spider, just a nasty reaction to it. I am glad hers cleared up with only antibiotics. Some of those bites can be really bad. What a trooper!

Hawks Family said...

Wow - that's quite the bite! Hope I never run into any of those spiders that are really snakes (I HATE snakes!). Glad she's feeling better and that things have improved - gotta love antibiotics!

Chelsey said...

Dang that looks nasty! Poor girl! I'm glad it's getting better :)

Tiffany said...

That looks really bad...I would have been freaked out. So glad it is doing better.

Unknown said...

Holy Cow!!! And I thought that ROUS (rodents of unusual size) were the things to be feared - but NOOOOO!!! Snake/spiders... now THAT is scary!!!!! yuck!
Hang in there Mom!!! Way to be brave Olivia!!!

Sarah said...

Oh yuck. Smart to outline it with pen...I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind if/when "snake spiders" come this way. Glad she's diong well, and that you have a doctor that doesn't mind the frequent visits!

Laura said...

that does not look good!!! I am glad she is almost all better. Poor thing!!!!

Jill said...

This kid makes me laugh! Not because of her spider bite, but she comes up with the darndest things to say!! Always an Olivia-ism!!! It was smart of you to draw a circle around it. But, you are a smart Mom!! Keep those spider snakes at your house please! :)

RaShawn said...

That did get a lot worse from when I saw it. I'm glad she is all better.:)

Kristin said...

Wow. THat is one bad reaction. I wonder what kind of spider it was, or if she is just super sensitive to them. Are you thinking about carrying an Epi pen on you from now on? LOL.

Carol said...

That looks like a nasty ouwie so I'm glad it's gotten better. Smart of you to put a circle around it so you could see get a true picture of how it spread!

Marilyn said...

It sure looks nasty! Tell her I know EXACTLY how she feels. Mine ended up being a $4600.00 spider bite. That's more than our first new car cost! Give Olivia a hug for me.
Grandma

Kay said...

very scary, especially the part about the new breed of spider! hahahahahaha! love u guys

Elexia Belle said...

oh my goodness!!! i cant believe this!!! how scary!!! glad it got better!! i just think that is so funny spider snake haha what a cutie!

Maricela said...

Poor baby. Your visits alone have probably paid Dr Judd's mortgage or vacations for the year! :)