Friday, June 4, 2010

Crash! Boom! Bang!

My little Tagen is fearless... Mostly. She will often stand at the top of the stairs with her toes hanging over the edge of the top step and rock back and forth. As if that's not enough to scare me to death, she will also do a "Downward dog" pose at the top of the stairs. That's right. Her little hands hang over the edge of the top step and her head is right at the edge. She loves it. I'm telling you.... Fearless. (Except for cats and dogs, but that's another story.)

Well, I was emptying the dishwasher the other day and Tagen was playing as usual. All of the sudden I heard a sharp intake of breath from her and then Crash! Boom! Bang! My heart sank into my stomach as I realized she had just fallen down the ALL. FOURTEEN. STAIRS. I started running and was relieved to hear her crying. (I know that sounds bad, but it's good because that means she's breathing.)

As I reached her at the bottom, I was shaking worse than she was. I did a quick head to toe assessment and could only find blood coming from her mouth. All her limbs seemed okay. She stood up and crawled into my arms. I immediately called Brad for some reassurance and some calming. End result: she bit through her lip on one corner, bit through the inside of her bottom lip and has a nasty abrasion on her chin. Poor thing. I'm so grateful it wasn't any worse.
This was right after the fall.
You can see her bottom lip swelling.
This was two days later. Her poor chin looked horrible.
This is today. Her chin has scabbed over well
and so has her lip.

She's still fearless around the stairs, but does sit down as she reaches the edge.
Hopefully there won't be anymore falls in her future.

9 scribbles...:

Sara said...

SCARY! I don't even want to imagine my kids falling down my stairs! Glad that she is brave and a little more cauious around the stairs. Good luck and if you just want to bring the disk tomorrow I will see you then.

Melissa said...

I hope it's the last time as well.
Sounds like she's learned.
I'm so glad that it wasn't worse Carrie.

Laura said...

Seriously these children! I am glad that she is doing good and all that was to show for it was a little owie on her chin and a bite on her lip. Poor thing! I too hope this is the last time!!!

Tiffany said...

Poor girl, that can be a scary experience...pretty frightening for Tagen too. Glad it wasn't worse, Adelaide still remembers falling down the stairs our first day here and breaking her collarbone.

Jill said...

Oh my heart stopped when I saw her picture! She is a fearless one....I love their individuality and courage at this age...but the terror or hearing that sound, you know the one that makes you cringe in fear.....I totally understand. I have one just like her! Glad she is okay. That frown is precious!

RaShawn said...

Poor thing! I hate that feeling you get when you know what happened and you can't do anything to stop it.

Julie said...

I get that sinking feeling whenever I hear sirens and my boys are out and about. They will even tell you how panicky I get. I am calling them to make sure they are okay. Luckily they have been each time that I have called. They think its funny to tell me that they just got rear-ended or something just to make me more scared and then they just laugh and say, just kidding. Just you wait. I bet you have one that does the same thing!

Bry n Dani Family said...

Ouch! I'm glad she's okay. I hate that sensation when you realize your baby is falling down the stairs. I think about all of my kids have done it once. We're pretty lucky to have only had bumps and bruises. I love your new ride too!

Richard and Marianne said...

Okay... I know it has been a hectic week for you but we need some new posts from you! I keep checking, hoping for some new rad photos and something on your blog, and each day... nothing! NO BUENO! as sam might say! I have posted on her blog (neener neener I win) okay... signing off... mar